Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Metacognitive Reading Journal 3


1984 –Metacognitive Reading Journal Questions

- List the freedoms which have been granted to you and those which have been denied. For what reasons have they been denied? Do you accept these reasons?

Everybody has their own freedom. However, every freedom comes with great responsibility. Freedom could be in any form tangible or intangible. For example, I have the freedom to think whatever I want, does anything I want, etc. However, that also means I must not invade other people’s privacy or affect others. I also have the freedom to think, write, or speak. These are the freedoms that you’re born with. The freedom that I earned and granted is the freedom to play computer games with one limitation, which is only if I finished my homework and house chores. The freedom that I was denied from is to drive cars. This is because I lack experiences, knowledge, and the age to drive. I accept these reasons because it concerns with the safety of me, my family, and others.

- Are there ways in which the government or private sector intrudes upon your privacy? What are some of these ways? How does this make you feel?

            Government controls everything in the country. Some things we know of and some things we don’t even realize. For example, the phone line and mobile lines is controlled by an individual companies however monitor by the ministry of communications. This ministry has power to control and monitor the phone lines and the chat we are talking. This violates our freedom in the way that we can’t have a private talk. Nevertheless, I feel that it is okay and justified. This is because through this way the government can monitor and prevent or arrest criminals that are plotting against the laws.

- What are the Party mottos? What is unusual about them?

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

The unusual thing about them is that the word contradicts each other. For example war contradicts with peace, freedom with slavery, and ignorance with strength. One possible reason that explains why the party’s using this motto is because they wanted shape the way people think about the actions they’re doing. The way they wanted the people to think would be the opposite of what they’re doing. For example, the party is waging a war but stated to the people that they are creating a world peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment